What is a School Improvement Team?The School Improvement Team (SIT) is composed of the principal and assistant principal and elected members from the parent/staff community: four-five parents, two classroom teachers (one for grades K-2, one for grades 3-5), one-two instructional support teachers, and a classified staff member (Teaching Assistant). All members (except the Principal and Assistant Principal) are elected by their representative peers. Elected members serve a two-year term and meet once a month. Members can be re-elected for a second two-year term and then must sit off the team for at least a year. Members cannot miss more than two consecutive meetings. The CHCCS delegates one School Board Member as a liaison for our school. PTA can provide a SIT liaison (or vice versa). These liaisons are non-voting members of the SIT.
What does the SIT do?
- Solicits input from and hears the concerns of parents, school staff and community members about school programs and other aspects of student life;
- Reviews the results of all relevant state and district administered surveys;
- Supports/advises the administration;
- Assists in the hiring of a principal if necessary;
- Provides input on or questions issues such as school climate, safety, programs, and philosophy;
- Reviews/approves the School Improvement Plan and Status Reports;
- Discusses issues (both positive and negative) about the school;
- Chairs may meet with the Superintendent and School Board Members;
- Represents and advocates for the parent and staff community at the school and district levels.
SIT meetings are open to the public and provide a forum for parents and staff members to address matters of importance to the Northside school community. If you have any questions about the SIT or would like to bring an issue before the SIT during the Public Comments portion of the agenda, please come to any meeting or contact one of the Co-Chairs (one staff member, one parent).
Specific to Northside Elementary School this fall, we are asking parents with their youngest child attending fifth grade, to nominate themselves to serve one year on the SIT. Ideally, half of the SIT members will be replaced each year, so this would enable a couple more parents to serve on the Team in the 2014-15 school year.
If you are interested in nominating yourself or someone else, CLICK HERE to access Northside Elementary SIT Nomination forms.